Graduate Programs: How to Apply
We accept applications each fall (with a deadline in December) for admission for the following Fall semester (beginning in September). Fuller information about the criteria for admission and the required elements of an application is provided on the information page for prospective students.
Applications are submitted electronically through the Graduate Division's online application website at http://www.grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/grad_app.shtml. The online application for Fall 2013 is now open.
The deadline for all applications is December 6, 2012.
In brief, an application consists of six parts:
- Your completed Graduate Division application form. This should be completed online at the Graduate Division application site. If you are unable to complete the online application, contact the Graduate Division via phone at 510-642-7405 or via email at email@example.com.
- Your writing sample, uploaded with your submitted application.
- Your reading list for Greek and Latin texts. This will be submitted with your completed application. Sample version online.
- Your letters of recommendation, to be submitted online by the recommenders themselves.
- Unofficial transcripts are submitted in .pdf format as part of your application. Upon admission, Graduate Division will require submission of your official transcripts.
- GRE scores, required by the Department of all students receiving a B.A. in North America and of those overseas students whose native language is English or who have studied for one or more years at a university at which classes are conducted in English. Please use code 2609 (Classical Languages) to have GRE scores reported to the department by ETS.